Scallops with Mango, Avocado Relish and Basbaas
12 large scallops
1 mango, cubed
1/2 avocado, cubed
2 tablespoons of cubed red pepper
1 tablespoon finely cubed red onion
1 tablespoon Coconut Cilantro Chutney
1. Remove the muscle on the side of each scallop and discard. Then lay your scallops on a plate lined with a paper towel.
2. In a large bowl, mix the mango, avocado, red pepper, red onion and chutney.
3. Heat a large skillet (big enough not to crowd the scallops) and season the scallops on both sides with sea salt.
4. Add enough Canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan. Just before it starts to smoke, add the scallops and cook until you get a beautiful brown sear – about 2 minutes per side (no more than that as they can overcook very quickly). Remove to clean paper towels.
5. Divide the relish among 4 plates, spooning into the center of each plate to create height. To finish, top each plate with 3 scallops. Serve while the scallops are still warm.
Recipe by: Many Kitchens